Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Slow and decidedly impassive


Exactly three months ago, in this post, I committed myself to catching up with the Fast/Furious series in 2015, in order to try to rank Furious 7 with my 2015 movies next January.

Well, it's not going very well.

It took me until last night to finally watch the movie at which I had been stalled (no pun intended) since watching 2 Fast 2 Furious in March of 2012: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. I would have watched it some three weeks ago except for the battery life issue described in this post.

Despite my slowness to pounce on it, I had somewhat high hopes. I had heard the idea that Tokyo Drift was being reappraised for its counterintuitive value, and that it may actually be one of the better ones in the series -- even lacking (almost) all of the series' main characters. Failing that, I figured it to at least have good kitsch value, as Tokyo Drift is kind of the new Electric Boogaloo -- an unlikely two-word phrase you attach on to the end of an unexpected sequel, to indicate its unlikeliness or perhaps its deviation from the series' main narrative.

Nope. It was just lackluster.

In fact, it was so dull that I did actually fall asleep, though I suspect the wine I had at dinner was a contributing factor to that.

Sure, Tokyo makes a pretty flashy setting for a car racing movie, and the set pieces are understandably different from the previous two movies. But it really lacked a sense of fun.

Plus, Lucas Black is just terrible. His cornpone accent is supposed to be part of the fish-out-of-water story, but his utter inability to convincingly deliver a line should not be.

Well, on to the fourth installment, Fast & Furious, which at this rate I won't watch until sometime in October or November.

No comments: