Monday, November 23, 2015

Bring on Rocky VII


We haven't quite reached as many Rockys as are in this poster from the movie Airplane II: The Sequel, but we're starting to get to the point that Sylvester Stallone would actually look like this if he donned the gloves again.

Whether he'd be Asian or not, I can't say.

I'm seeing Creed -- the seventh Rocky movie -- at a critics screening tonight, and I won't be half surprised if Stallone does actually get in the ring.

After all, he did a boxing movie, as a fighter, as recently as 2013 with the movie Grudge Match. He's going to be 70 next July, but why not one more?

I'm guessing Stallone finally has enough sense not to go that route with this one, especially since 2006's Rocky Balboa -- which I quite liked -- was a return to a greater sense of realism in the series. Oh, the terrible Rocky V -- you know, the one where he fought that guy Tommy Morrison in a street fight -- was meant to be that return, but gritty did not necessarily translate to "realistic" in that case. In Rocky Balboa, it did, and Rocky Balboa is what gives me cautious optimism about tonight's film.

Another thing giving me optimism: Someone told me there's talk of Stallone garnering an Oscar nomination for his role as the coach of Apollo Creed's son, Adonis (Michael B. Jordan), who is following in his father's footsteps. (Let's hope he also doesn't get fatally pummelled by a massive Russian who says things like "I must break you.")

That seems a bit farfetched, but the source is one I trust, so we'll see.

Sylvester Stallone may never get to 38 Rockys, but at this point, it would be unwise to bet against him reaching double digits.

No comments: